The moment you’ve finalized your moving date, the next thing you’d expect is tons of stress coming your way. Relocating to a new home involves many tasks that, for most people, the pressure buildup is enough to affect a person’s health and sanity.
Why moving house is stressful
There are many possible reasons why moving house can bring on a lot of stress on an individual. This includes:
- Sudden change of routine
- Leaving behind friends and family
- Thought of packing the contents of an entire house
- Lack of preparation
- Fear of the unknown
Despite the list of endless things you need to do for your relocation, there are some things you can do to manage the stress well. Here are some tips that will help you finish the relocation process with a smile:
1. Plan ahead of time
Without proper preparation, it’s easy to fall victim to moving stress. This is why you have to plan early about all the things you need to accomplish for your move. List down your “things to do” and rank them according to what’s most important down to the least important but essential tasks.
Take into consideration the time you have and create a schedule of your moving tasks accordingly. Make sure you accomplish your tasks within a specific period so that you don’t end up rushing yourself due to limited time.
2. Hire a removal company
The best way to relieve the stress of moving is to hire a professional removalist. They’ll do the major moving tasks for you so there will be no need to worry about the heavy lifting and hiring a moving truck separately.
If you want, a removal company can also help you pack large, special and/or fragile items for transport. It will significantly lessen the work on your end which means less stress as a result. Just make certain that you hire a company with a good track record so that you don’t end up with more stress on your hands.
During a house move, it’s not sensible to try to do everything yourself, that’s why hiring a removalist is a great way to take the pressure off on some moving tasks.
3. Start packing early
By packing your belongings early, you can declutter and determine which items you’ll donate, throw away, and take with you to your new place. Below are some useful tips you can follow when you start on packing:
- Pack by room, then start from the top of your house going down.
- Sort and pack all the clothes you wear the least first.
- File away important documents like birth and marriage certificates together in one folder.
- Label boxes clearly so that you can find everything easily when you arrive.
- Pack a bag of essentials which will contain daily supplies and important items like medication, a change of clothes, toiletries, phone charger, etc.
Packing early can take off some stress by ensuring that you don’t miss out any items and end up leaving them behind or undone till the last minute. You may also want to book a cleaning service to help you declutter and prepare your new place for the move. This way, your new place will be ready for habitation right away.
4. Get enough rest
Even if you only have a few days for your move, it’s still not right to sacrifice sleep. Keep in mind that a major cause of stress is fatigue. Relocation is a tiring process and it’s important that you don’t push yourself too hard and, as much as possible, get enough sleep.
- Sleep on time and for at least eight (8) hours so that you’ll have enough energy to move house.
- Start early so that you don’t have to rush and forget things, and you can take your time.
- Have regular breaks when packing your items.
- Eat well and on time to work efficiently on a full stomach.
5. Focus on the positive
A simple way to deal with stress is to fight negativity. Focus on positive thoughts and concentrate on the good aspects of your move. This way, you can prevent getting anxious feelings and succumb yourself to stress.
Positive thoughts may include:
- Getting a chance to reorganize and redecorate your home
- Moving to a place near friends or family
- Working in a better company and earning more
- An opportunity to make a fresh start on your life
Learn to accept that stress is a normal part of the moving process. Acknowledge stress for what it is but don’t let it discourage you from accomplishing the tasks at hand. With proper planning, sensible choices, and the 5 tips above, you should be able to survive and efficiently manage the pressures of relocation.
Craig Jones is the Managing Director at Aussiemove, Australia’s largest independent moving alliance. Craig is a respected member of the removalist network in Australia, having served in senior positions, including the President of the removal industries governing body, the Australian Furniture Removals Association (AFRA). With 23 years of experience at Aussiemove, he has the skills and the highly trained team to move families safely and reliably, in Adelaide, across Australia and around the world.